Thursday 26 September 2013

The little things

If you could see my hair you'd understand my excitement right now. I started to grow it out after coming out but it started very short. Now it's finally long enough to do something with! Which is a good thing because what was starting to grow on my head was beginning to look troublesome.

It was coming down sorta straight on the sides until just before my ears. Then it would start this roller coaster like flip-twist toward the back of my head... straight back. Like I styled my hair in a wind tunnel with a hat on.

Picture a full-haired version of the famous Einstein picture...

But there is hope! I have discovered the hair straightener. It has been a learning process. Using something skin searingly hot to poke at your own head in a mirror is a learned skill... one that trains you quickly mind you, lol. I think I only burned the side of my head twice and the top of my ear once before it dawned on me

"Maybe the sides of this thing gets hot too..."

So that was a break-through.

Also, less dangerous but equally tricky is actually manipulating my hair in general while looking in a mirror. It seems there is no happy way for me to do this. If I don't look in the mirror I can't see what I'm doing. If I look in the mirror I just get to watch my hands and fingers simply not listen to me. I shave my face with no problems up, down, left, right, front, back I have those figured out I swear. However the second I put my hands over my head it's like my hand eye coordination says "Yeah... she doesn't need me now. I'll be waiting by her face."

I don't know how many times I need to try pinning my hair straight over to the side before I actually do that rather then pulling it almost straight to the front of my head before I get it right. I do know four tries isn't enough and try number five ended up mostly really sticking straight up and falling all over the place.

So that led me to give up trying to pin my hair up now while it's still pretty short. I have found that just unceremoniously shoving the straightener into my hair, using a comb to help me out on occasion, works for me.

It almost looks good enough now that I'll soon be going out without a wig. I can't wait for that, it'll make a big difference on how much trouble it is to be presenting as female 24/7. It's all about the little steps. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment