Wednesday 23 October 2013

Friendly Vampires

I've been busy most of the morning so I'm just getting a chance to sit down now to write something. All I can really think about though is today so far, what a great day :)

First thing I needed to do today was see my therapist, I rather enjoy talking to her. I'm almost always in a good mood afterward, well feeling better at least, lol. That's an hour-ish of my life that just zips by, but I wasn't really excited to do what I had to do after. I was off to get a blood test done, and also a sperm count. Well what happens is they give you a container to bring home so I wasn't concerned about that, just the waiting and the needle poking.

But the blood test ended up being such a great experience, its what I'm here all giddy about.

I walked in and waited to talk to the receptionist and as I looked around I seen there was quite a few people there. The reason I had gone there was it wasn't usually such a busy spot. Anyway, I had to wait for a while, you have to take a number to talk to the receptionist then wait again for the nurses, so... yeah.

Anyway, when I eventually made it up there I handed my requisition to her and she just stared at it. Looked up at me and said..

"Are you sure you have the right requisition?"

"Yes."

"So you are picking up THAT for your husband?"

"No that's for me."

I could watch her brain take a while to figure it out as she glanced between the paper and me a few times.

"Oh. I'm sorry.... Rebecca is it?"

"Yes." then the fear of being "caught" started to go away and I just realized what happened, and I could see she felt bad, so I thought I'd say something. ".....and thank you!"

Once she knew what was going on it was business as usual. This is the same hospital my therapist is in, so these people deal with trans individuals regularly. Just as I was thinking how odd it was that it really took her time to figure it out, considering, she looked at me and said.

"Well that will tell you, I usually can tell with these things." like she was reading my mind and answering my question. Yes she deals with transgender people all the time and yes she had no idea.

She took care of all my things and I sat down to wait. I was so pleased with myself and there was no one around to share it with so I was about to burst, lol. I let it out in little bits in the form of excited texts to my partner while I waited.

It seemed, now I may be wrong, but it seemed like I caused a bit of a buzz among the nurses. When my name was called I seen one nurse poke her head out, and another crossed my path looking me up and down the whole time. A third nurse led me to her little blood-sucking station and treated me... different. I don't know how to explain it. A mindful, calm, understanding respect with maybe a little bit of awe or impressed. I've been around nurses before, or maybe that was just her way, but I felt treated differently, in a good way.

She poked me with her needle and explained a few things to me, I felt catered too honestly. Like the only real effort I made was taking off my purse and coat, and putting them back on. Even the little cups I needed was handed to me as I turned around. As she was leaving she leaned in and said,

"You look great by the way."

I couldn't help but have a huge grin on my face while I thanked her. As I was leaving the receptionist caught my attention and said to me, "Sorry about that."

I responded with a smile, a half chuckle and said "Oh, no problem." as I was going out the door. What I should have done was turn around and walk back to her and tell her she just made my day, don't be sorry.

Anyway, enough of me talking about how good I look :p

I'll be back tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment