Wednesday 2 October 2013

What a day!

Wow was yesterday a huge day for me! I finally have all of my pieces of ID changed to reflect my new name. I am now officially known as Rebecca!

What an emotional day though. It did feel a little like letting someone go. I was already feeling it as I started the day but as I passed back each old piece it started washing over me. By the end of it all I was exhausted. It was exciting to have it done, for whatever reason it felt very real when I stared at each new card with my name on it.

The photo ID managed to come out looking pretty good. What the hell is that about? I'm fairly certain I'm going to get a letter telling me to come back and have it re-taken, it doesn't look foolish enough.

So it was quite an afternoon. While sitting in line waiting to talk to someone to get my photo ID, the last piece of the puzzle I had nothing to do but think. I was mostly excited, I kinda felt like a kid....

 aaaannnnd I still do. I want to show everyone, lol.

Anyway, I was mostly excited but I was sitting there thinking about how real this is. That's my name now, my ID looks clearly female, it's not really a good option for me to present as male anymore... though I think I get more awkward looks that way now then as female anyway, it's just more real now.

 So there I was feeling all of this and my phone rings.

"Hello?"

"Hi. May I speak with Rebecca please?"

<panic> "Speaking..."

"Oh. We have your resume here.... blah blah blah... would you like to come in for an interview?"

<total dread> "Sure."

"Great, so how does Thursday sound?"

"Sure"

So as my emotional day was coming to it's peak I schedule my first interview since coming out, and presenting female.

See what I mean about how fate tends to shove me straight through my fears? So I've been practicing with my voice all day, and I can barely talk now. That may be somewhat counter productive for tomorrow. We will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment